Saturday, April 26, 2008

Again, I had to tell my children about death of a loved one. Last Friday, our beloved Lucy passed away. Lucy was a beautiful companion to me and then to my family. Yes, I am talking about my dog that has been with me for the last 14 years. I knew that day would come and thought it would be soon. Just did not really think it was going to be that day or any day. Another example of: we do not know when our lifetime is over on Earth - only God has the future plans.

So on telling my children about Lucy. Ava (4 1/2yrs) showed her saddness with tears and hug Brutus (our other dog). Grace (6yrs) instantly tried to change the subject and started laughing. Charlie(3 1/2 yrs) wanted to see the place where Lucy died. I worry that they are not able to deal with their feelings and worry that it will cause issues when they are older. Any suggestions? Maybe it is all okay with how they deal with death.

Now it has been a week with my children talking almost everyday about death and dying. It seems so natural for them and so uncomfortable for most of the adults. Why do I feel the need to explain things that my children say about death? It is very real for them. I am saddened that it is part of the rest of their life and how it was not part of the childhood I had planned for them. I know it is not my plan - it is Heavenly Father's plan. I know if we rely on Him we can overcome our tirals. Still, it hurts and will forever hurt.

3 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

I am so sorry to hear about Lucy.

I am sure your kiddos are handling all these issues appropriately. They are so resiliant. We adults should learn a lot from them.

Brynn P. said...

Thanks for the comment. It's comforting to read your story about your baby and know that you came out of that difficult time stronger!
I'm fine with you linking your page to mine (or was it the other way around?lol).
Thanks again!

Kim (marygracesummons.blogspot.com) said...

Thinking about you Debbie and all 4 of your babies. I hope all is well and you are having good days!
love,
kim